Part 4 of my four-part series on Get more from your website
I’ve talked a lot about the importance of backing up your computer hard drive. Equally as important is backing up your website.
Recently I was out with a group of women, all of whom own their own businesses. We were talking websites and I asked how many of them backed up their website. Most weren’t sure if they did or not. Some didn’t know how. And most thought their web hosting company took care of that.
Backing up all your business data is extremely important. Your website is no exception. Disaster could strike such as a fire or a flood, hackers could take your site down, or you could accidently erase something important.
It’s easy to back up your website. Watch this video and find out how to do it.
How to create a full backup to store on your computer:
- Login to your cPanel. If you don’t know the URL, username and password, contact your website hosting company.
- Once logged in, select Backup from the first page, under Files.
- Select Full Backup from the second page.
- Select the destination for the backup files.
- Select Home Directory from the Destination pulldown.
- Click Generate Backup.
- You will receive an email confirming the backup as been completed.
- To download a copy of the backup file to your computer, click the filename under Backups Available for Download.
- Now check the downloads folder on your computer. Save the backup file (it will have the extension .tar.gz ) to a Backups folder on your computer.
When your hard drive gets backed up to an external source, or better yet to the Cloud, your website will be safe and sound.
Now it’s your turn
When was the last time you backed up your computer? Share you comments below and continue the conversation.