There’s nothing like a long weekend to remind yourself how important it is to disconnect from your work in order to recharge and renew. Nowadays, the line between personal and professional has become so blurred bringing work home has become the norm.
It’s time to reclaim one day of your week that is reserved for you to renew and rejuvenate. Consider it a reminder that you have an identity outside of your business or occupation.
Wondering where to begin? Here are 7 keys to unlock the healing power of a day off work.
1. Exercise – Whether it’s going for a run, riding your bike or simply walking your dog, move your body. You likely spend most of your time sitting or standing. Now is the time for movement, increased heart rate and maybe a little sweat for good measure. Your muscles need time to renew.
2. Play – Do something fun, something that makes you laugh or feel scared. Give yourself permission to release your inner child. Your imagination needs time to renew.
3. Explore – Exposing yourself to new things is a great way to explore the world around you. It could be as simple as reading a book, watching a documentary or walking through a new neighbourhood. Your curiosity needs to time renew.
4. Create – You’d be surprised just how creative you can be. Perhaps you already know it, but have been caught in the busyness of life and have put down your paintbrush, instrument or needle. Spend time reconnecting with your artistic side. Your creativity needs time to renew.
5. Connect – Is there a friend you’ve been meaning to call, but keep getting side-tracked? Talking to friends and family, voice-to-voice, is an essential ingredient in deepening and strengthening your bonds with loved ones. Your relationships need time to renew.
6. Reflect – Your day may be spent putting out fires and reacting to the next urgent matter presented. Taking time to actively think about your experiences, and questioning yourself about what they mean, stimulates deeper understanding and learning. Your spirit needs time to renew.
7. Rest – Getting enough sleep is essential to feeling good and having a clear mind to face the day. Having a 30-minute afternoon nap on your day off will help you recharge. Your body needs time to renew.